Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is one of the least complicated gumbo recipes I've tried, yet it comes from Cajun Cuisine cookbook, so it's still all about Cajun! I skip the oysters for personal preference!
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups flour
- 6 quarts water
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 1 pint oyster, with liquid (I omit)
- salt, black and cayenne pepper, to taste
- Make a dark roux with the butter and flour, add water, bring to boil and cook until roux is dissolved.
- Reduce heat, add veggies; chop enough shrimp to make one cup, add to gumbo.
- Simmer on low for 3 hours. (or less!).
- Add remaining shrimp, crab, (oysters), salt, peppers and simmer for 10 minutes or until warm.
- Serve over cooked rice. (May add file powder before serving.).