Recipe by NannyMarvel
I was looking for a different way to prepare fish and since we were all craving Mexican food, I thought I'd try doing fish in enchiladas. Turned out great.
- 4 large red snapper fillets (aprox. 1 1/2 lbs)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup flour
- chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (28 ounce) can green enchilada sauce (there will probably be a little left)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 3⁄4 lb monterey jack cheese (grated)
- 3⁄4 lb cheddar cheese (grated)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay fish fillets out on baking parchment or a large flat baking pan. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the flour over the fillets. Sprinkle chile powder, dried cumin and salt and pepper over fillets. Make sure fillets are thoroughly coated. Turn over and do the flour, salt, spice thing on this side.
- Melt butter in large skillet and saute fish until golden on each side.
- Combine the grated jack and cheddar cheese.
- In 13X9X9 glass baking dish, pour green enchilada sauce to cover the bottom of the dish. Arrange 6 corn tortillas (overlapping)on the sauce. Pour more sauce over the tortillas. Arrange fish on the sauce, cover with one half the cheese. Drizzle enchilada sauce over the cheese and put 1/2 can of the chiles on the sauce. Lay 6 corn tortillas over the top, drizzle with more green sauce and the remaining chiles. Top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake in 350 degree over for twenty minutes or until cheese is melted and a nice golden color. Remove from oven and let rest for 20 to 30 minutes before serving.