Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a recipe I learned from my Dad whose family was from Conshocken, PA.
Make and share this Easy Scrapple recipe from Food.com.
- Pour 2 cups of water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Cut sausage into pieces and add to boiling water mixing throughly (a potato masher works well). Once sausage is done take pan off heat and add red pepper flakes and sage.
- Add cornmeal and mix throughly and pour into loaf pan.
- Refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Slice and fry in frying pan with cooking spray.
this is not real scrapple. Real scrapple has every part of the pig except the oink and this has sausage. Scrapple needs the iron like taste of the pig's offal. It is however a good substitute for scrapple if you live outside of the Philadelphia/Lancaster area. What does your father from Conshohocken think?
This sounds like a recipe my Mother used many, many years ago except she used black pepper instead of red pepper flakes. I just couldn't remember the quantities. I will give this a try. Thanks!!
Love Scrapple. I made this for the first time the other day. Added chopped onion, minced garlic and salt to mine. So good and super easy. This can also be frozen. Make sure to slice the Scrapple first, separate the slices with wax paper wrap and freeze. No need to defrost just fry it up in the skillet