Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This one's from my Grandma. It was spoon fed to us in our high chairs. Easy for babies and toddlers to eat. Sticks to the bone and comfort food. It is also inexpensive and requires only a few ingredients you probably have on hand. You may use this with leftover chicken or turkey.
- 1 roasting chicken, for easy dish (buy a roasted chicken from the supermarket)
- 14 slices whole wheat bread or 14 slices white bread, toasted
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper (we like a lot of pepper on ours)
- Cut the prepared meat from the bone, shred into bite sized pieces.
- Toast the bread and break into bite sized pieces.
- Spray non-stick cooking spray in an oblong casserole.
- Put one layer bread pieces, one layer chicken pieces.
- Build up three layers.
- Pour chicken broth over casserole,.
- Add water.
- Melt butter in microwave for 8 seconds.
- Pour over casserole.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Bake at 350°F 35-40 minutes until golden brown and liquid is absorbed.
We liked this!! It was so easy to make! We used just chicken breasts and a few slices less bread, and I wish I would have thought to use less water....whoops! It was still good, though and we really enjoyed it! Made for your Week 11 Football Pool win....congrats!!!
Oh my....is this ever good. It doesn't get any easier than this to provide a great comfort food for your family. I didn't have enough bread so I added some herb flavored croutons. I served this along with a garden salad and our meal was complete. Great meal, Westtextazzy, cant' wait to make it again.