Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is easy and delicious and makes a quick week night meal --- ground beef may be used in place of the sausage meat but I prefer the sausage meat --- it's important to make certain to squeeze out any excess moisture on the spinach with your hands --- serve with crusty bread and butter.
- 7 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half (or use milk)
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1 dash salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 lb white button mushrooms
- 4 Italian sausages, casings removed (or use about 1/2 pound COARSLEY ground beef)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained (squeeze out excess moisture with hands)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl whisk eggs with half and half, Tabasco, salt, pepper and basil.
- In a large skillet melt butter with oil over medium heat.
- Saute the sliced mushrooms until the moisture is released (about 10 minutes).
- Add in onions, adding in more oil or butter if needed; saute for about 4 minutes.
- Add in the sausage meat, breaking up the meat into small pieces as it cooks.
- Sprinkle with the spinach (do not mix in). Cover with a lid and cook for about 5-6 minutes to steam spinach.
- Stir the spinach into the sausage mixture.
- Pour the eggs over the sausage mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon and cooking until eggs are JUST beginning to set.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately.
OUTSTANDING. This is the reason that each time I look for a recipe, I check yours out first. Every one is a winner. I had a "brunch for dinner" at my home last week, and this was a star attraction. EVERYONE made me promise to send this recipe that night on e-mail. They all want to take it somewhere and take the credit! :) The only thing that I did differently, was throw in a small can of Old El Paso green chilies. You are my hero!
We really liked this. Very quick and easy.I did make several "fat trimming" changes. I used 4 eggs and 5 whites and skim milk. I cut the butter and oil in 1/2, and I pulled portions of the meat mixture out and blotted with paper towels a few times to take out some of the sausage grease. It still tasted wonderful!!!