Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I came up with this one night and it has been one of my husband's favorites ever since; he requests it once a week. Despite the long list of ingredients it is really quick and easy. You can modify amounts or ingredients to what you have on hand, but this has been our favorite combination so far. I usually use whole wheat pasta, and frozen spinach, zuccini and bell peppers (as I always have these in the freezer). Fresh vegetables works great too, but you may need to cook them a little longer.
- 2 cups penne pasta, cooked and kept warm
- 2 links sun-dried tomato chicken sausage, chopped (Aidels or Emeril brand is what I usually use, mushroom or pesto sausage works well too)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced (I use frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup spinach (I use frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper, chopped (I use frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix (Original, Sun-dried Tomato, or Garlic & Herb all work well)
- nonstick cooking spray (use as needed)
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat, cook sausage about 5 minutes.
- If needed, spray inside of pan with non-stick cooking spray (to be safe you'll probably want to remove pan from heat when spraying) add onion and garlic to pan and cook with sausage on medium high heat about 5 more minutes.
- Add zuccini, bell pepper, and mushrooms to pan. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice, spinach, wine, vinegar and Mrs. Dash seasoning to pan. Cook at medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Turn down heat to medium low and simmer another 10 minutes or until vegetables are desired doneness. Note: it will be a chuncky consistancey, not really saucey.
- Add cooked pasta and mix it all together. Enjoy!