Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
For all you sauerkraut lovers, this is delicious!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 fresh minced garlic cloves (optional)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can sauerkraut, undrained
- 8 ounces noodles, cooked and drained (any kind is good)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- salt and pepper
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, brown the pork pieces.
- Add in the onions garlic (if using) and celery, cook until soft but not brown.
- Stir in the sauerkraut (with the juice), cooked noodled, undiluted soup and mushrooms; season with salt and pepper to taste; mix well to combine.
- Spoon into a greased casserole dish.
- Cover, and bake for 1-1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
Sorry Kitten, but we really didn't like this very much. All the ingredients are ones that we like but it just didn't work for us. I did follow the recipe as written except I added an extra can of mushroom soup because when I put it together I could tell one wouldn't have been enough. And it definately needs more flavor. Next time I think I will leave out the sauerkraut, add more spices and maybe put in some peas! It's a nice cassarole that you can change up a bit to suit your own tastes.
I enjoyed this very much, thought it needed some color and a few more spices, and will try again, doing so. Thanks KittenCal for another excellent recipe. If I find a recipe I want to use and it has your name on it I will certainly try it because I have yet to have one of your's fail.
Garlic optional? Surely, you jest! I found that 8 oz. (one package) of fresh mushrooms cut into quarters worked just as well as the canned (and was cheaper, too) True comfort food. Thanks for posting, Kitten