Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Feel free to saute a little green bell pepper with onions, you may adjust the garlic and chili flakes to taste --- this is very good! :)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh finely chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (adjust to heat level) (optional)
- 1 cup uncooked white rice (I use converted white rice)
- 2 cups water or 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) jar Pace Picante Sauce
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste) (optional)
- salt (optional and to taste)
- In a medium saucepan heat oil over medium heat; add in onion, garlic and chili flakes, cook stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add in rice, water and salsa; stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20-22 minutes or until the rice is tender or is at desired doneness.
- Season with salt and black pepper if desired.
This was really great for a side rice dish! I was making salmon tonight with a lime/tequila sauce and thought I'd pair the dinner up with other "mexican flair" foods. I chose this since it looked simple...but not only was it simple, it was SUPER flavorful! I tripled the garlic (as in every recipe I make) and used a bit more crushed red pepper and a bit less salsa (probably only 10 ounces - Chi Chi's brand) and opted for the low sodium chicken broth. YUMMY!!! Hubby and I devoured it. It was a bit too spicy for my little ones...but that just meant more for us! ;) Will make this again and again with any Mexican meals. Thanks again Kitten! We loved it!
Perfect easy side for our shrimp quesadillas and black beans! Loved tossing it all in the pot and cooking the rest of dinner knowing it was percolating away. Didn't have picante sauce, but I did have a jar of really good smoked chipotle salsa so i used that and it was great! Thanks for my new go-to mexican rice side. Glad I snatched it up so quickly as the first to review!
This is a very tasty rice and excellent side dish to either taco night or enchiladas. Since I am such a wimp I do have to make sure to only use a mild salsa and allow the red pepper flakes to spice it up. Other than that this is incredibly tasty.