Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
This is an old, old recipe from my Aunt Jeanie-Beanie. I loved this one as a kid and my family enjoys it now.
Top Review by zeuscooks
The title of this recipe "Easy Salmon Loaf", is way to humble. Lemon Salmon Mousse would be more appropriate. This is easy, value conscious and would be a proud addition to any special occasion buffet, do yourself a favor and try this one NOW!
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red salmon or 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pink salmon, drained, flake, and picked over
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Salmon Loaf: Add milk and breadcrumbs to a bowl; stir to combine; set aside.
- In another bowl beat the egg yolks until thick and the color of lemons.
- Add in the breadcrumb mixture, lemon juice, salts, and pepper; stir to combine.
- Add in salmon; stir to combine; set aside.
- In yet, another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry; add to the salmon mixture; fold in gently.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 7 1/2 x 3 x 2 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 400°F for 35 minutes.
- In the meantime, make white sauce: let the butter melt in a saucepan over low heat.
- Add in the flour and stir until smooth.
- Cook for 1 minute while stirring constantly.
- Gradually pour in the milk; cook over medium heat and stir constantly until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut salmon loaf into slices and serve with white sauce on top.