This is a recipe that I made for my father sense he is on a low carb diet. I served this with green beans and a big salad. This recipe is just what any low carb dieter needs!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed with salt or minced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1 package dried au jus mix, seperated
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1 can cambells cream of mushroom soup, not diluted
- 1⁄2 cup milk, low carb milk if on hand
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, garlic, onion, 1 tablespoon Aus Jus sauce mix, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, and cumin.
- Meanwhile, preheat a medium sized skillet.
- Form the meat into 4 oval patties and place into the hot pan.
- Sear both sides of the patties without cooking them the whole way through and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F In a small bowl, mix together the cambells soup, milk, and almost the rest of the Au Jus sauce mix.
- Spread a thin layer of the sauce on the bottom of a 9"-13" pan.
- Place the salisbury steaks in the pan and top with the rest of the sauce.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with rice, pasta, or green beans for low carb diet.
Overall, good recipe which worked exactly as described. Straightforward Salisbury Steak. We used approximately half of the optional spices (red pepper flakes and cumin) which seemed just about right for children. As with the other reviewer, we added 8 oz of sautéed mushrooms, which added significantly to the taste. Four stars is a pretty good rating for my family...
This is really good and easy! I added 6 oz. of sauted button mushrooms to the sauce mixture. I wasnt sure what size of aus jus mix to buy- I used 1 TBS with the patties, and 2 TBS with the sauce. Served over egg noodles with green beans. We will be having this again soon. Thanks so much for sharing.