Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a recipe my mom has made for years -- it's so simple and requires so few ingredients, it is one of my favorite comfort foods! I serve it over mashed potatoes and a slice of bread like an open faced sandwich, but it is also good over hot cooked egg noodles.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs round steaks, cut in serving size pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 3⁄4 cup ginger ale
- Preheat oven to 275.
- Line a 9X13 baking pan with foil.
- Place meat in bottom of pan.
- Mix soup, dry soup mix, and ginger ale together in a small bowl.
- Pour soup mixture over meat.
- Bake in preheated oven for 4 hours, or until meat is tender and cooked through. (cooking the meat on such a low heat for a long period of time helps make it tender and fall apart).
- You can also make this in the crockpot -- just mix all the ingredients, pour in the crockpot, and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or until meat is tender depending on your individual crockpot's cooking time.
Absolutely yummy! I have made round steak with coke, but am switching to ginger ale after this. It makes a fabulous gravy! My three girls gobbled it up with out any coaxing or persuading. This will be my go to recipe for round steak from now on.
Made for Spring PAC 2012 and what a wonderful dish. I used low sodium cream of mushroom soup and fixed this in the crockpot so when I got home from DD DH and I would have most of the meal ready. Definately and easy recipe and one that I will use again. Thank you for posting the recipe.