Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This potato dish is a must served with prime rib! You can use gorgonzola in place of Roquefort. This makes a huge amount so it is a perfect dish to serve for a dinner party, of coarse you can cut the recipe in half. Please don't leave out the dried rosemary, it really adds extra flavor.
- 5 1⁄2 lbs potatoes (peeled and cut into 1/8-inch very thin slices)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 6 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs (can use a bit more breadcrumbs)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄3 cup butter, cut into tiny pieces
- Set oven to 425 degrees.
- Butter a 15 x 10-inch baking dish (preferably glass).
- Layer potatoes in prepared dish, sprinkling each layer with salt and pepper.
- Bring the whipping cream to a boil in a saucepan; reduce heat to medium and add in Roquefort, whisk until cheese melts.
- Pour the cheese/cream mixture over the potatoes.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until potatoes are desired tenderness.
- Set oven to broil.
- In a small bowl mix together the breadcrumbs and dried rosemary.
- Sprinkle over potatoes.
- Dot with butter pieces, and broil until the crumb mixture is golden brown (watch closely) about 3-4 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.