Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Not for risotto purists - this simple recipe has just 5 ingredients and the stock is added all in one go.
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 ounce butter
- 6 slices streaky bacon, chopped
- 10 ounces risotto rice
- 4 cups vegetable stock, hot
- 4 ounces frozen peas
- salt and pepper
- Finely chop the onion. Heat the olive oil and butter in a pan, add the onions and fry until lightly browned (about 7 minutes). Add the bacon and fry for a further 5 minutes, until it starts to crisp.
- Add the rice and stock, and bring to the boil. Stir well, then reduce the heat and cook, covered, for 15-20 minutes until the rice is almost tender.
- Stir in the peas, add a little salt and pepper and cook for a further 3 minutes, until the peas are cooked.
- Serve sprinkled with freshly grated parmesan and freshly ground black pepper.
Absolutely delicious!!!! I have recently fallen in love with risotto, and this is THE BEST that I have tasted. I followed this recipe word for word, although it did take me a bit longer than stated, but well worth the wait. If you love risotto, I agree, it is not for risotto purists, but this is absolutely fantastic. English_Rose, this is beyond a doubt a winner.
Fab recipe, I've been using this one for a while now from the BBC Good Food website - always a winner!