Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Wonton wappers make a convenient substitute for pasta when making tortelloni. Sauce can be made one day ahead, tortelloni up to 4 hours ahead. Makes a great vegetarian one-dish meal or serve as a dinner party dish with a salad and crusty bread. Cooking time is approximate. I found this recipe in a Bon Appetit magazine.
- 3 teaspoons olive oil (separated)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 12 garlic cloves, sliced (separated)
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped (separated)
- 6 large tomatoes, chopped (about 5 cups)
- 10 ounces spinach leaves, stems trimmed
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- ground nutmeg, to taste
- 24 wonton wrappers (square)
- flour, for dusting
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and half garlic; saute 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and 3/4 cup basil. Cook 15 minutes to blend flavors, stirring often and adding water if dry. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead up to this point and chilled).
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Squeeze out extra liquid, if any.
- Place spinach in processor. Add ricotta and blend well. Blend in parmesan cheese, and season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Place 1 wonton wrapper on work surface. Brush edges with water and place 1 scant tablespoon filling on one half. Fold diagonally in half forming triange and press edges to seal. Overlap 2 ends together and press to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and place in single layer on floured baking sheet.
- Working in batches, cook tortelloni in pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Meanwhile, bring tomato sauce to simmer. Spoon over pasta and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup basil to serve.
Made & reviewed for ZWT 4 ~ Kumquat's Kookin' Kaboodles! These Tortelloni were easy to make (I had wrappers left over from the other day) & were seriously delicious! I'd never thought of using wonton wrappers for tortellini before - ingenious! Thanks Kumquat for a great recipe :)