1 hr 5 mins
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
Wonton wappers make a convenient substitute for pasta when making tortelloni. Sauce can be made one day ahead, tortelloni up to 4 hours ahead. Makes a great vegetarian one-dish meal or serve as a dinner party dish with a salad and crusty bread. Cooking time is approximate. I found this recipe in a Bon Appetit magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 teaspoons olive oil (separated)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 12 garlic cloves, sliced (separated)
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped (separated)
- 6 large tomatoes, chopped (about 5 cups)
- 10 ounces spinach leaves, stems trimmed
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- ground nutmeg, to taste
- 24 wonton wrappers (square)
- flour, for dusting
- 1Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and half garlic; saute 5 minutes.
- 2Add tomatoes and 3/4 cup basil. Cook 15 minutes to blend flavors, stirring often and adding water if dry. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead up to this point and chilled).
- 3Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute 1 minute.
- 4Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Squeeze out extra liquid, if any.
- 5Place spinach in processor. Add ricotta and blend well. Blend in parmesan cheese, and season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- 6Place 1 wonton wrapper on work surface. Brush edges with water and place 1 scant tablespoon filling on one half. Fold diagonally in half forming triange and press edges to seal. Overlap 2 ends together and press to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and place in single layer on floured baking sheet.
- 7Working in batches, cook tortelloni in pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- 8Meanwhile, bring tomato sauce to simmer. Spoon over pasta and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup basil to serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Ricotta and Spinach Tortelloni in Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (529 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.9
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 15.3 mg
- Sodium 538.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 15.1 g