Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
An easy and quick side dish for just about any meat entree'.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄4 cups white rice
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta
- 3 cups water
- 3 packets instant chicken bouillon
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Melt butter or margarine in saucepan.
- Add orzo and saute' on medium high heat till browned.
- Stir in rice.
- Meanwhile dissolve bouillon in water.
- Add parsley.
- Slowly add bouillon mixture into saucepan.
- Stir well.
- Turn heat to low and cover tightly.
- Let simmer gently, covered, for 20-30 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to make sure rice is not sticking to bottom of pan.
I have been making this for at least 40 years. I use canned chicken broth (salt free) instead of boullion cubes. Every time I serve it I am asked for the recipe.
I have made this recipe several times and love the diversity of it....i like it with chicken added in. I also use chicken "stock". I find that the stock instead of the broth is much more flavorful. You can find the stock right there along with the broth. This is also great for leftovers ! Thank you for posting Elena.
This was so good. I love orzo and rice, but had never made them together, so this was a real treat. I used chicken broth instead of the water and bouillon. I also added a little poultry seasoning to it for flavor. I will make this again soon. I'd like to add some chicken and peas too. A very good side to go with anything. Made and Reviewed for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup - Thanks! :)