Recipe by WaterMelon
Very easy and delicious one-pot-meal. May substitute chicken with other meat e.g. pork/beef. Stirring is important, to achieve smooth congee. NOTE: Usually when cooking congee with electric rice cooker, i need to click it 'on' a few times after it switched off (automatically) because congee has to simmer for some time to be smooth.
Top Review by Dou Sa Bao
Thank you for the recipe! This was really good and easy to follow. I used garlic powder instead of mincing garlic and will try using a garlic press to squeeze out the ginger juice next time instead of mincing ginger. I also used minced pork instead of the chicken. The sesame oil and white pepper at the end is a very good touch and definately enhances flavor.
- 1⁄2 cup rice (not quick-cooking)
- 3 -4 cups water (may use chicken/vege broth)
- 2 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut to thin slices
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 dash black pepper (according to your taste)
- 6 pieces shiitake mushrooms, julienned
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- sesame oil
- black pepper or white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rice cooker: Dump all ingredients (except garnishes) into rice cooker, turn it on and stir occasionally, until congee is smooth and no longer grainy.
- Stovetop: Combine all ingredients (except garnishes) in a medium saucepan, bring to boil over medium heat then turn down heat and let simmer until water has been absorbed.
- Add more water/broth if necessary (for both methods)
- Sprinkle with black/white pepper, a few drops of sesame oil and chopped scallions just before serving.