Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
Refrigerator pickles are easy to make, and there's no need for kettle steamers, special jars, and vacuum-tight lids. Plus, unlike store-bought pickles, these scrumptious homemade pickles are low in sodium. Serve these on sandwiches or as a snack.
- 6 cups thinly sliced pickling cucumbers (about 2 pounds)
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 3 cups cucumber in a medium glass bowl; top with 1 cup onion. Repeat procedure with the remaining 3 cups cucumber and remaining 1 cup onion.
- Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan; stir well. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Pour over cucumber mixture; let cool. Cover and chill at least 4 days.
- Note: Pickles may be stored in the refrigerator for up to one month.