I just whipped this up and thought it turned out quite delicious. It is a healthy, filling breakfast option that I know I will make again and again. Plus, it's so easy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons onions, chopped fine
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 eggs, cooked however you prefer. I prefer sunny side up, but scrambled or poached is just fine as well.
- 1In a small saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- 2Add onion. Saute 1-2 minutes or until soft.
- 3Add beans, green chilies, chicken stock, garlic powder, cumin, and pepper-stir until combined.
- 4With a potato masher, mash the mixture until most of the beans are in pieces. Its okay to leave them chunky, but mashing them helps make the beans thicker in the end.
- 5Once mashed, bring bean mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- 6Simmer, stirring every 3-5 minutes, about 20-25 minutes, or until they are the consistency that you desire.
- 7The beans will thicken a bit after cooling, so keep this in mind.
- 8Top each portion of beans with an egg, and enjoy!
- 9You may also serve this with cheese, avacado, and/or tortillas.
- 11Note: Fresh garlic can be used in place of garlic powder.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Refried Beans and Eggs
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 263.8
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 212.4 mg
- Sodium 449.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 17.5 g