Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I just whipped this up and thought it turned out quite delicious. It is a healthy, filling breakfast option that I know I will make again and again. Plus, it's so easy!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons onions, chopped fine
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 eggs, cooked however you prefer. I prefer sunny side up, but scrambled or poached is just fine as well.
- In a small saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion. Saute 1-2 minutes or until soft.
- Add beans, green chilies, chicken stock, garlic powder, cumin, and pepper-stir until combined.
- With a potato masher, mash the mixture until most of the beans are in pieces. Its okay to leave them chunky, but mashing them helps make the beans thicker in the end.
- Once mashed, bring bean mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer, stirring every 3-5 minutes, about 20-25 minutes, or until they are the consistency that you desire.
- The beans will thicken a bit after cooling, so keep this in mind.
- Top each portion of beans with an egg, and enjoy!
- You may also serve this with cheese, avacado, and/or tortillas.
- Note: Fresh garlic can be used in place of garlic powder.