No one will ever guess this is made from a cake mix, cooking time is only estimated, depending on your cake mix baking directions
- 517.37 g package yellow cake mix
- 29.58 ml unsweetened baking cocoa
- 5 large eggs
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 2 (56.69 g) bottle red food coloring (do not reduce amount!)
- cream cheese frosting (see Kittencal's Best Cream Cheese Frosting (Extra Creamy Option))
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 24 regular-size muffin tins with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl beat the cake mix with baking cocoa, eggs, oil, buttermilk and food colouring for about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Spoon the batter evenly between the muffin tins about two-thirds full.
- Bake according to package directions for cupcakes or cake.
- Remove from the pans immediately and cool on wire racks.
- Spread tops with cream cheese frosting.
These were very easy and good red velvet cupcakes. The only concern I would have is the amount of red food coloring. I made a double batch and used 2 bottles of food coloring (1/2 the amount called for in the recipe) and they were extremely bright red. I can't imagine using more than this and would probably use even less next time. The texture and flavor was really good and enjoyed by all. Thanks for posting!
This is a great recipe and worked very well for me!!!!
I made these cupcakes yesterday for an event for today. For my taste I added another tablespoon of coco powder which gave the finished cake a darker red appearance. There was one flaw with the recipe in the fact that the cooking time was left out. Otherwise the recipe was delicious and easy to make. I topped the cupcakes with freshly made whipped cream and they were loved by all who attended!