Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a beautiful, easy red velvet cake with a little more chocolate than other versions. Using a white cake mix gives you a headstart and assures a moist cake. Tastes great with cream cheese frosting.
- 1 box white cake mix, with pudding in the mix
- 3 eggs
- 118.32 ml margarine
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 56.69 g red food coloring
- 59.16 ml baking cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Beat until well blended-- about 3 minutes.
- Pour batter evenly into two greased and floured 8 or 9 inch round pans.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Turn from pan and let cool completely.
- Frost with cream cheese icing.
very good. made as advertised and turned out great!
WOW! Velvety and delicious!!! I only used 1 bottle of red coloring and I thought the batter was a little dense, so I added about 1/2 cup more water/buttermilk mixed. Used this for a birthday, where there were 2 cakes -- this was eaten to the last crumb. One guy said "I usually don't even LIKE cakes, but this is REALLY GREAT!" Will definitely make this again.
The grocery store was out of white cake mix with pudding, but they DID have red velvet cake mix! Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly. 4 stars for my improvisation... a million stars for deliciousness. I made cupcakes and frosted with cream cheese frosting (recipe on 'zaar). Mmm mmm!!!