Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This makes the perfect red velvet cake! A double recipe of Kittencal's Best Cream Cheese Frosting (Extra Creamy Option) works great with this cake --- not sure why some members had so much trouble with this cake, for myself it turned out light, moist and wonderful!
Top Review by GodFeedsUs
I had the same issue as vlynn. I followed the recipe to the tee and got a VERY dense and FLAT cake. It was very hard, too. The directions need to be more specific. The only thing I can think of that I did wrong was that the I should prepared the yellow cake mix the way I normally do and in addition, add the other eggs and vegetable oil mentioned in the recipe. This needs more clarification BIG time.
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix (without pudding added)
- 2 tablespoons sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 eggs (or use the amount stated on cake mix)
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- cream cheese frosting
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two 8-inch round cake pans.
- Place the dry cake mix in a large bowl and add in the amount of water suggested on the box, then add in cocoa powder, vinegar, eggs, food colouring and oil; mix all ingredients thoroughly using an electric mixer until well blended.
- Divide into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for for about 25-30 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool slightly then invert onto plates, frost as desired.