Recipe by DaisySunshine
I am a newbie to cooking and my first success has been this soup! Everyone loves it and now I can't stop making it!
Top Review by mapaklenk
Quite tasty. Did as the other reviewers before and skipped the initial cooking of the lentils. Did not use celery (personal preference), but used a whole diced yellow onion instead, and used the whole can of tomato paste because I did not measure the peas, just used the remainder of a bag and it looked to be more than a cup. Added a little Of Prudhomme's chicken seasoning at the end instead of the salt and served with cornbread. Even picky DH said it was "alright" - a pretty high compliment from that meateater!
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 2 cups water
- 2 celery ribs
- 3 carrots
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 0.5 (3 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil red lentils and water for one hour.
- Chop celery, carrots and garlic.
- Add stock and water to pot of lentils.
- Add celery, carrots and garlic to pot of lentils.
- Bring to boil.
- Add tomato paste, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Serve the thick, rich soup and enjoy!
- Add more or less stock and/or water depending on how thick/thin you like your soup.