Recipe by sherrilljoy
This thick soup is healthy, easy to make and everyone will love it. I make a loaf of quick beer bread and that's a meal!
Top Review by Lazarus
This was a very tasty, hearty soup. I haven't cooked with red lentils before, and I was pleasantly surprised. I made the recipe as written, but I ended up adding 1 litre of broth, as the soup was the consistency of paste with the 2 cups called for. Not sure what could account for the difference from sherrilljoy's version, but the problem was easily rectified. The flavour was fantastic! Made for Fall PAC 2012. Thanks for posting.
- 8 ounces split red lentils, about 1 1/8 cup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Pick over lentils and remove any stones. Rinse well.
- Heat butter in sauté pan and sauté onion for 2-3 minutes.
- Add diced celery and carrots and let sweat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in lentils, add lemon rind, vegetable broth and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Roughly blend the soup with stick blender or mash with potato masher, it should not be too smooth.
- Check the seasoning and reheat gently.