Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This thick soup is healthy, easy to make and everyone will love it. I make a loaf of quick beer bread and that's a meal!
- Pick over lentils and remove any stones. Rinse well.
- Heat butter in sauté pan and sauté onion for 2-3 minutes.
- Add diced celery and carrots and let sweat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in lentils, add lemon rind, vegetable broth and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Roughly blend the soup with stick blender or mash with potato masher, it should not be too smooth.
- Check the seasoning and reheat gently.
This was a very tasty, hearty soup. I haven't cooked with red lentils before, and I was pleasantly surprised. I made the recipe as written, but I ended up adding 1 litre of broth, as the soup was the consistency of paste with the 2 cups called for. Not sure what could account for the difference from sherrilljoy's version, but the problem was easily rectified. The flavour was fantastic! Made for Fall PAC 2012. Thanks for posting.
This soup has the possibility of excelling to a really good soup. However it isn't quite there as written. Like the other poster I had to continue to add liquid to the soup because the lentils as they cook absorb so much of the liquid called for in the recipe. I originally added only the ingredients listed...but found it needed much more flavoring. It was much too bland for our palate. I added a bay leaf, a couple of chicken bouillion cubes, and about 1 teaspoon of Half Sharp Paprika for a little bit of heat, then simmered some more. In the end it was an excellent soup. I debated about how many stars to give. I felt since the veggies just needed some extra boosts to enhance the flavors I would give it 4 stars. (I would have liked to give it 3 1/2 stars, but since it isn't possible it deserves a 4 rather than a 3.) IMHO with the added flavor enhancers it is actually closer to a 5. Made for PAC Spring 2013.