I was browsing through my copycat recipes book and found one for Popeye's Red Beans & Rice which was the base for this recipe. I didn't know what a "16-oz can red chili beans in chili gravy" was so I figured a regular can of kidney beans oughta do it...and healthy brown rice! I had a few green onions so I added them for pleasing color and flavor, made a nice burrito base with queso blanco, spinach, and tofu!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 dash garlic salt (I used a little salt and a little garlic powder)
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1Bring 2 cup lightly salted water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan to a boil, and immerse the brown rice in it. Loosely cover, lower the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 40 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all the water. Fluff it up and put it into another bowl for now.
- 2Put the rinsed and drained beans into a small bowl and mix with the olive oil.
- 3In the same pot you cooked the rice in, lightly heat the oiled beans but don't boil them.
- 4Add the dry spices and let cook for about 5 minutes to incorporate the flavors.
- 5Remove from heat, mix with the warm rice and fresh green onions if you have them, and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Red Kidney Beans & Brown Rice With Chili Flavors (Vegan
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.5
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 61.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 13.8 g