Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I was browsing through my copycat recipes book and found one for Popeye's Red Beans & Rice which was the base for this recipe. I didn't know what a "16-oz can red chili beans in chili gravy" was so I figured a regular can of kidney beans oughta do it...and healthy brown rice! I had a few green onions so I added them for pleasing color and flavor, made a nice burrito base with queso blanco, spinach, and tofu!
- Bring 2 cup lightly salted water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan to a boil, and immerse the brown rice in it. Loosely cover, lower the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 40 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all the water. Fluff it up and put it into another bowl for now.
- Put the rinsed and drained beans into a small bowl and mix with the olive oil.
- In the same pot you cooked the rice in, lightly heat the oiled beans but don't boil them.
- Add the dry spices and let cook for about 5 minutes to incorporate the flavors.
- Remove from heat, mix with the warm rice and fresh green onions if you have them, and serve immediately.
I am so happy to have tried out this recipe. I was skeptical because of it's simplicity, but was very pleasantly surprised. It is mild, but very delicious and nutritious. My 3 year old loved it as did my husband. Ate it with sour cream and avocado. We adults also added some chipotle tabasco :-)
Thanks for the great, simple and healthy recipe!!!