Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a great side dish and the sour cream makes it wonderful!
- 1 large red cabbage, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- Melt butter in a large frying pan and add cabbage, onion, salt, pepper and vinegar.
- Cook covered for 20 minuted over medium-low heat.
- Add apples and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Server with a dollop of sour cream.
With red cabbage in season I've been trying out several recipes and so far this one was the biggest hit. I liked it because the recipe didn't call for sugar so the only sweetness came from the apples which was just perfect. Everyone else liked it just because it tasted great. Thank you.
What a great side dish! It's easy, inexpensive and adds some nice color to your meal..... although it would taste just as good with green cabbage- just less colorful. I loved the tang of the vinegar against the sweetness of the apples. I made this as written, but didn't cook it quite as long as written. Yes, the dallop of sour cream makes it even better. Thanx!