Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is delicious with chicken. The apples in this recipe will turn soft, if you desired you may add in more coarsley chopped or sliced apples towards almost the end of cooking.
- 3 small red cabbage (or use 2 large)
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (optional)
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 3 -4 tablespoons bacon fat or 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- Shred cabbage and place in a large saucepan or a pot.
- Add in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust all ingredients to taste.
The flavors blend into a really outstanding dish. Will make this again -- and soon!
Easy and delicious. At first, I was in awe at the amount of cabbage that had to be used, but it all melted down nicely in the pot (no saucepan of mine could every contain this!) and became a delish side for our dinner. I liked the apples in this, most of mine melted into the dish, but some soft little bits remained. I did use the lesser amount of sugar called for and that was just fine to our taste. A great new way for us to eat our cabbage!