4 hrs 10 mins
David R. Harris's Note:
This red beans and rice recipe is about as easy as it gets, tastes great, and works well in a slow cooker! You can easily substitute ingredients to your liking. Use water instead of chicken broth, a can of Rotel tomatoes, bell pepper and celery, or even some other types of beans and spices.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 lb smoked sausage
- 3 (15 ounce) cans light kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 (15 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning (or use other spices)
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper
- 1Put beans and chicken broth in slow cooker on high.
- 2Cut sausage into medallions, and cook in a large frying pan until lightly crispy on outside.
- 3Add onion and garlic to the pan and saute in the sausage grease.
- 4Put the contents of the frying pan and the remaining spices in the slow cooker. Add water until the level rises above the beans.
- 5Once the slow cooker starts a light simmer, you can continue to cook it on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours.
- 6Serve with white or brown rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Red Beans and Rice for Slow Cooker
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.0
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 23.1 mg
- Sodium 755.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.7 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 20.3 g