Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an easy and delicious take on a Louisiana classic that you can prepare and cook in 40 minutes! I use turkey kielbasa to cut down on the fat, but not the flavor. Season with hot pepper sauce if you like.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (16 ounce) package turkey kielbasa, cut diagonally into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- 2 (15 ounce) cans canned kidney beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet over low heat, cook sausage for 5 minutes. Stir in onion, green pepper and garlic; sauté until tender. Pour in beans and tomatoes with juice. Season with oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Serve over rice.
Made 1/2 the recipe for lunch with DH and we both really liked it. Made with beef smoked sausage and diced tomatoes with onions but otherwise used the ingredients listed. I liked the beans and rice together, wasn't sure DH would go for it, but he said her would eat it again! Made for Spring PAC 2014.