Recipe by ketchupqueen
I was astounded that not one recipe for tartar sauce on 'zaar actually contained cream of tartar. This is a basic version; add anything you like in your tartar sauce to the base, such as lemon juice, capers, or dill. Tartar sauce is great with just about any fried fish dish.
Top Review by L DJ
Tartar Sauce (Tartare Sauce has nothing to do with the product cream of tartar. Tartar sauce, or as the French refer to it, sauce tartare, consists of mayonnaise, mustard, chives, chopped gherkins, and tarragon, according to C. Owenâ€™s â€œChoice Cooking,â€�, circa 1889. In French, it is loosely translated as â€˜rough,â€™ as the Tartars were considered rough, violent, and savage.
- 1 bread and butter pickles or 1 sweet pickles or 1 dill pickle, minced very fine
- 1 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise (DO NOT use Miracle Whip) or 1 cup Best Foods Mayonnaise (DO NOT use Miracle Whip)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cream of tartar (use more if needed)
- granulated sugar, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix mayonnaise and pickle in small bowl.
- Add cream of tartar.
- Add sugar to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate until served; keeps well in fridge.
- Note: This tartar sauce changes color when allowed to sit or exposed to air; it is still safe to eat until it begins to turn rancid.