Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
My husband can remember standing on a chair at the table to be tall enough to watch his Grandma make doughnuts. Unfortunately I can't find her recipe but this one is from a different German Grandma and sounds much easier than what he describes to me! From Good Ol Cotton Pickin Recipes, Burton Cotton Gin, Burton, TX
Top Tweak by Divastar981
I created an account just to say how amazing these doughnuts are! My two-year old son asked for doughnuts for breakfast this morning. I was just going to make simple doughnuts from canned biscuits but we didn't have any canned biscuits. I found this recipe, and it's incredibly easy and oh-so delicious! The only change I made was substituting cinnamon for nutmeg because I'm not a fan of nutmeg and I didn't have any on hand. So yummy! A definite hit in my house for sure!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg until thoroughly blended.
- Add oil, milk, egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Heat oil to (?) degrees. Drop by spoon into hot oil.
- Fry until light brown on both sides turning once.
- Drain well on paper towels or brown paper bag.
- Turn in or sprinkle with plain, powdered or cinnamon sugar while hot.