My husband can remember standing on a chair at the table to be tall enough to watch his Grandma make doughnuts. Unfortunately I can't find her recipe but this one is from a different German Grandma and sounds much easier than what he describes to me! From Good Ol Cotton Pickin Recipes, Burton Cotton Gin, Burton, TX
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg until thoroughly blended.
- Add oil, milk and egg and mix well.
- Drop by spoon into hot oil.
- Fry until light brown on both sides turning once.
- Drain well on paper towels or brown paper bag.
- Turn in or sprinkle with plain, powdered or cinnamon sugar while hot.