Recipe by okeedokee
This isn't classic Quiche Lorraine but it is my "go to" never fail recipe. You will never have an underdone center or a watery quiche with this recipe. You can substitute cooked ham with cheddar, cooked sausage with cheddar. Try chorizo and pepper jack cheese or chopped cooked shrimp with a 1/2 t of Old Bay Seasoning. The variation possibilities are up to you. If I have a bit more time I use a packaged roll out crust. The basic "liquid" is the key. Feel free to add veggies but not veggies that will give off too much liquid while baking in the quiche.Mushrooms sauteed in butter are a wonderful addition.
- unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie pastry, thawed
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded swiss cheese
- 1 (2 ounce) packagepre-cooked bacon
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (low fat or fat free doesn't work here)
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line pie crust with foil and prebake crust for 8 minutes. Let cool while you are preparing filling.
- Following package instructions, microwave pre-cooked bacon until crisp. Crumble the entire package into small pieces. This makes about 1 cup.
- Mix bacon, cheese, onion and parsley in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, mayonnaise, pepper and evaporated milk in smaller bowl.
- Put cheese bacon mixture evenly in pie shell. Pour egg mixture evenly over cheese bacon mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes (or more) before serving. Makes 4 large or 6 moderate servings.