Recipe by GourmetGradStudent
Rich and Creamy Pumpkin Soup with lots of flavor. A friend tore the recfipe out of a magazine for me. I believe it was Better Home and Gardens.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 28 ounces chicken broth (or veg broth)
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked orzo pasta (or wild rice)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream (or whole milk)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan melt butter a medium heat. Add onion and garlic , and cook until tender.
- Stir in red pepper and cook for about a minute more.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add orzo (or rice).
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes (orzo) or 40 minutes (wild rice).
- Combine dairy and flour in a tupperware container. Close the lid and shake briskly to reduce lumps.
- Stir into orzo mixture and cook until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in pumpkin, heat through.