Recipe by the80srule
A warming fall breakfast, to use up leftover pumpkin. (though the phrase "leftover pumpkin" doesn't exist in my house.) I use McCann's Irish Oats because it's fine quality, doesn't contain HFCS or hydrogenated oils, and I had coupons for it. :D Be sure to use unflavored and unsweetend rolled oats! This serves just 1, but simply use the multiplier for however many people will be at the breakfast table if you're making this for your whole family. I'm never using pre-packaged oatmeal again! (Not that the food corps make pumpkin oatmeal anyway.) You can also use pre-made pumpkin pie spice in a pinch, but I like the simple cinnamon and nutmeg better. Spiced Sugar also makes a nice sub for brown sugar. It's a nice and sweet vegan breakfast that you won't believe is healthy! So much flavor and requires just about no effort!
- 1 cup water, boiling (sometimes I use a little less to make it thicken faster)
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats (plain, unflavored, unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the water and pour over the oats in a bowl (don't mix yet.) Also, you can use hot milk for a richer and creamier flavor-- hot soymilk or almond milk for vegans.
- Drop in the pumpkin and brown sugar, now mix them all together.
- Pour the spices on and mix. Let sit for 1 minute before eating.