Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This can be calorie reduced by using the diet bread, skim milk and skim Pet milk. You can use just egg whites and you can substitute Sweet 'n Low for the sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the bread cubes and raisins in a buttered 3 quart oven dish.
- Then in a large mixing bowl, start with the eggs, and beat them, then add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well and pour egg mixture evenly over bread.
- Stir around a bit to make sure all the bread is coated.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the pudding is puffy and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- (Yes, it will fall in the center. The eggs cause this to happen)
This recipe sounded a lot better than it turned out for me. I ends up too runny and mushy for my tastes. Still edible, just not my best bread pudding. Suggestions?
I had a half loaf of whole wheat bread that needed to be used, so I decided to make this as a healthy version for breakfast with half the sugar and a little more raisins and some added nuts/seeds (I had pumpkin seeds) and some ground flax-seed. Then I served it to my toddler with a little powdered sugar on top and frozen blueberries. He devoured it. After reading the other reviews, I used about a cup more cubed bread and a little less milk, but then found that it wasn't moist enough for my taste, so I guess it just depends on your taste... Also, the one other thing I would add for next time is a little salt to bring out the flavor of the other spices (not sure how much yet).
We LOVED this recipe! We left out the raisins, but everything else stayed the same. We will make this again, and again, and again.