Recipe by littleturtle
This is not authentic, but it is a fast, easy to make and very tasty version of Venice's favorite cheesecake. It comes from the Magic of Jell-O. The name means "pick me up". Also try substituting vanilla wafers for the lady fingers. If you do, reduce the coffee to 1/2 cup because the wafers won't absorb the liquid as well.
- 1 (6 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding or 1 (6 ounce) package vegetarian instant vanilla pudding mix
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened or 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum or 1⁄4 cup coffee liqueur
- 1 cup brewed espresso, cooled or 1 cup strong coffee
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (7 ounce) package ladyfingers
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipped topping, thawed
- 4 ounces baker semisweet baking chocolate, coarsely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pudding according to box direction.
- Add cheese and coffee liqueur and beat until smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill 1 hour.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- In a small shallow dish, stir sugar into coffee and dip each ladyfinger in for only 4-5 seconds (letting them soak too long will make them fall apart).
- Line bottom of 8 cup trifle bowl with 1/2 of the lady fingers, spread 1/2 of pudding mixture over cookies and sprinkle with 1/2 of the chocolate; repeat layers.
- Cover tightly and chill for 4 hours or overnight.