Recipe by MidsummerNightSprite
An easy and inexpensive low-cal dish that highlights spring veggies. Feel free to mix in things to your liking.
Top Review by PaulaG
This was made using gluten free penne pasta. The squash were cut in half before slicing and a some finely cut carrots were added to the mix. The vegetables were cooked to crisp tender and the spinach cooked just enough to wilt it. A handful of fresh herbs was tossed with the pasta before serving and each individual serving was served with a generous amount of freshly grated parmesan cheese. This is a very fresh tasting meal that I look forward to making again. Made for PAC Spring 2013.
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup yellow squash, sliced
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced
- 5 ounces spinach
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (Italian style is great here)
- 1 tablespoon shredded mozzarella cheese (optional) or 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to al dente package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Saute garlic til tender.
- Add squash, zucchini, and spinach. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add whole can of tomatoes, with juice.
- Add drained pasta to skillet. Cover and let simmer until veggies are tender and pasta is done.
- Season to taste, garnish, and serve.