Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This soup is fast, easy, and full of flavor. Rotel (tomatoes with green chiles) comes in various levels of spiciness so choose the one that suits you- mild, original, or hot. I used the "original" variety and this is perfect if you like a "medium" spicy salsa. For those who love fresh cilantro, stir some in at the last minute. It adds great flavor!
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies, not drained
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 rotisserie-cooked chicken
- 1 cup rice, cooked as directed on package
- 16 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- cilantro (optional)
- Cook the rice as directed on the package and refrigerate. This will be heated at the last minute in the microwave and added to the bowls as you are serving. If you add it while cooking, the rice will swell and your broth will be gone.
- Remove half of the meat from the rotisserie chicken, chop, and add to a pressure cooker. Freeze the rest of the meat for sandwiches or the next time you want to make this soup. Add the chicken broth and water to the pressure cooker.
- Puree the Rotel tomatoes, chicken bullion, salsa, chili powder, cumin, onion flakes, salt, and lime. I use a stick blender because it's so easy. Add all to the pressure cooker.
- Add the bag of frozen mixed vegetables to the pressure cooker. No need to thaw.
- Once your pressure cooker reaches full pressure, reduce heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes with the regulator rocking gently. Let the pressure drop completely before opening the pressure cooker.
- To serve, spoon desired amount of heated rice into a soup bowl. Ladle the chicken and vegetable soup over the rice. Stir in chopped cilantro if desired.