Recipe by winkki
A quick way to jazz up a frozen pumpkin pie and to save yourself a little time in the kitchen over the holidays. Cook time will vary depending upon directions on the pumpkin pie box, so cook time listed here is for topping section only. Originally a Leisure Arts recipe.
Top Review by Ms B.
Hubby brought home a frozen pumpkin pie, and I decided to dress it up with this recipe. Although I loved the praline topping (and using whole pecans, it was actually very pretty), I think that I prefer regular pumpkin pie. I don't need to mess with a classic. Still this is a good idea for those frozen pies.
- 1 (26 ounce) store-bought frozen pumpkin pie
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maple extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake pumpkin pie according to package directions (will vary by brand); remove from oven while making the topping.
- Reduce oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over med-high heat.
- Stir in brown sugar and cream.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove mixture from heat and add nuts and extract.
- Pour mixture over hot pumpkin pie.
- Bake 5 to 7 min or until topping begins to bubble.
- Let cool; store in airtight container.