Recipe by Chef shapeweaver �
For some reason I could never make potato pancakes from leftover mashed potatoes.But when I tried this recipe in 2007 Taste of Home Cookbook, that was sent to them from Marlene Harguth of Maynard Minnesota I knew I had found a winner. This recipe was made as written,but I think it would be really good with some finely chopped onion and some ground black pepper. I recently made this again and added what was optional onion, now the onion isn't optional. It's much better with the onion. Submitted to "ZAAR" on February 9th, 2009.
Top Review by PSU Lioness
I made these last night for dinner and served them with Recipe #476204 and they were fantastic! I also have the problem of keeping potato cakes together when making them but I had no trouble with these. I also added some garlic powder for a little extra spice and everyone loved them. They didn't reheat very well but I figured that would happen since they were fried. Thank you for posting. I will definitely make these again!
- 709.77 ml frozen hash browns
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 44.37 ml melted margarine
- 78.07 ml finely chopped onion
- 7.39 ml water
- 2.46 ml salt
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil, might need a little more
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the hashbrown potatoes in a strainer,rinse with cold water until thawed.
- Drain thoroughly, if needed sqeeze extra liquid out with your hands.
- Place drained potatoes in a large bowl.
- Add flour,eggs,butter,water and salt, onions and pepper add now and mix well.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Drop batter by 1/3 cupfuls into oil, flatten slightly.
- Fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Drain pancakes on paper towels.