For some reason I could never make potato pancakes from leftover mashed potatoes.But when I tried this recipe in 2007 Taste of Home Cookbook, that was sent to them from Marlene Harguth of Maynard Minnesota I knew I had found a winner. This recipe was made as written,but I think it would be really good with some finely chopped onion and some ground black pepper. I recently made this again and added what was optional onion, now the onion isn't optional. It's much better with the onion. Submitted to "ZAAR" on February 9th, 2009.
- Place the hashbrown potatoes in a strainer,rinse with cold water until thawed.
- Drain thoroughly, if needed sqeeze extra liquid out with your hands.
- Place drained potatoes in a large bowl.
- Add flour,eggs,butter,water and salt, onions and pepper add now and mix well.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Drop batter by 1/3 cupfuls into oil, flatten slightly.
- Fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Drain pancakes on paper towels.