For some reason I could never make potato pancakes from leftover mashed potatoes.But when I tried this recipe in 2007 Taste of Home Cookbook, that was sent to them from Marlene Harguth of Maynard Minnesota I knew I had found a winner. This recipe was made as written,but I think it would be really good with some finely chopped onion and some ground black pepper. I recently made this again and added what was optional onion, now the onion isn't optional. It's much better with the onion. Submitted to "ZAAR" on February 9th, 2009.
- Place the hashbrown potatoes in a strainer,rinse with cold water until thawed.
- Drain thoroughly, if needed sqeeze extra liquid out with your hands.
- Place drained potatoes in a large bowl.
- Add flour,eggs,butter,water and salt, onions and pepper add now and mix well.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Drop batter by 1/3 cupfuls into oil, flatten slightly.
- Fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Drain pancakes on paper towels.
I made these last night for dinner and served them with Gyro Meat Loaf W/ Tzatziki Sauce and they were fantastic! I also have the problem of keeping potato cakes together when making them but I had no trouble with these. I also added some garlic powder for a little extra spice and everyone loved them. They didn't reheat very well but I figured that would happen since they were fried. Thank you for posting. I will definitely make these again!