Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This makes a great side dish! You can add in some grated Parmesan cheese and salt to the sour cream mixture if desired. I always add in about 3-4 tablespoons mayo to the sour cream mixture but that is optional.
- 8 medium potatoes, cooked
- 2 large sweet onions
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder (can use more)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (can use more)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3 -4 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional)
- black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a medium-size casserole dish.
- Cook the potatoes until just firm-tender, cool and slice into about 1/4-inch rounds; set aside.
- Place onions, water and boullion in saucepan, bring to a boil, then simmer 5-7 minutes or until onions are tender; drain very well and set aside.
- Combine cheese, sour cream, mayo (if using) and black pepper.
- In greased dish, layer HALF the potatoes, and HALF of the onions, then HALF of the cheese mixture.
- Repeat the layers.
- Combine crumbs with melted butter and sprinkle on top, then sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
husband loved this!!!
My family loves potatoes, so I knew this would be a hit....and I was right!!! Made exactly as directed. I did use crushed crackers for the breadcrumbs because that was what I had on hand.
This was a tasty dish, but I did feel that there were just too many bread crumbs. I only used 1 cup and there were still too many and it seemed to make the dish a bit dry. I also wasn't sure what to do with the onions, so I sliced them before boiling in the bouillon. I needed more that 20 minutes for everything to be heated through, probably about 40 minutes total. I would make this again, but dramatically reduce the breadcrumbs or leave them off all together. Thanks for sharing, though, I will play with this and make again.