Recipe by Lorac
A yummy quick cooking soup. You can sub broccoli for the asparagus, if you prefer. The recipe is from "Better Homes and Garden's Christmas Comfort and Joy".
Top Review by drinkmore
This was quick for a last minute lunch. 4 stars only because I did not like the tomato in the soup. I followed the recipe and it turned out tasty, after spooning out the tomatoes. Thank you!
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 8 ounces cubed red potatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large sauce pot, add onion and cook over medium heat until tender.
- Add flour and stir to coat onions.
- Add asparagus, milk, broth, potatoes, salt and pepper, increase heat to medium high and cook until thick and bubbling, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring ocassionaly, 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add cheese, tomato and sour cream and simmer until cheese is melted.