Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A yummy quick cooking soup. You can sub broccoli for the asparagus, if you prefer. The recipe is from "Better Homes and Garden's Christmas Comfort and Joy".
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 8 ounces cubed red potatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- Heat oil in a large sauce pot, add onion and cook over medium heat until tender.
- Add flour and stir to coat onions.
- Add asparagus, milk, broth, potatoes, salt and pepper, increase heat to medium high and cook until thick and bubbling, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring ocassionaly, 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add cheese, tomato and sour cream and simmer until cheese is melted.
This was quick for a last minute lunch. 4 stars only because I did not like the tomato in the soup. I followed the recipe and it turned out tasty, after spooning out the tomatoes. Thank you!
I was looking for a quick soup to make on a rainy evening that used both asparagus and potatoes, and found this recipe. It was very tasty, without any adjustments in seasoning or major changes. I was missing a few ingredients, so subbed plain yogurt for sour cream, some grape tomatoes for a regular tomato, and 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese for the cheddar. My husband and I both really liked it and will definitely enjoy it again sometime soon!