Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
My mom gave me this recipe when she gave me a crock pot. It's really good! I can cook all day while I'm at work and come home to dinner.
- 3 -4 lbs chuck roast
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 4 medium carrots, sliced or 1 lb baby carrots
- 2 celery ribs, sliced thin (optional)
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
- 3 cups water
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- Put roast, potatoes, carrots, and celery in slow cooker.
- Add onion soup mix and water.
- Cover, cook on low 6-8 hours.
- To thicken juices for gravy, remove meat and vegetables to serving platter and keep warm.
- Pour juices into saucepan and bring to boil.
- Mix 2-3 Tbs flour with 1/4 cup cold water until smooth.
- Stir into juices in pan until thickened.
We had this for Easter dinner, and it was fabulous. The roast was fork tender and very moist and flavorful. I omitted the sliced celery because my family doesn't usually eat cooked celery. But otherwise followed the recipe instructions as written, and it was a fabulous meal. Thanks AnneMeanGrace. Made for Spring 2010 Pick-A-Chef.
This is absolutely wonderful! Its so nice to come home to this after work. I'll definitely make this again!