Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I've been making this for years so I don't remember where it came from. Instead of roast, you can use round steak or stew meat. Served with mashed potatoes, it's comfort food.
- 2 -3 lbs roast (beef or veal)
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, sliced into rings
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Coat roast with flour, salt,& pepper.
- Brown well in oil, about 10 minutes on each side.
- During last 5 minutes, add sliced onions.
- Add tomatoes, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Crush tomatoes with cooking spoon.
- Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer covered for 2 hours.