Recipe by Andi Panda
An insanely easy to make turkey and pea combination packed into fresh pita pockets. Regardless of the smoky taco seasonings, this quick meal has a distinctly Mediterranean feel. I came across this recipe the day after I learned to make pita bread. I had some things lying around and decided to throw some things together. I got the pita recipe from Cooking with Just Four Ingredients bu Joanna Farrow. This can easily be tweaked to suit your personal tastes. It could also be served over rice and is DELICIOUS mixed with a simple mac and cheese. You can also use store-bought pitas to take out most of the work. I am TOTALLY unsure of servings. I apologize, but I live alone and usually don't prepare food at their intended serving size. Prep and cook time is for pita bread. The filling takes about 15 minutes.
- 5 cups white bread flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons fast rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- frozen peas, to taste (I use 1.5 handfuls per pound of turkey)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR PITAS.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the olive oil and water, then add half of the flour mixture (2.5 cups).
- Stir in ONE DIRECTION until the dough is stiff.
- Knead in the remaining flour.
- Place the dough in a clean bowl, cover it with a dishtowel, and leave it in a warm place for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes or so, until it is smooth.
- Place a little oil in the bowl, return the dough to it, cover it again, and let it rise for about 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal balls. Roll out each ball into an 8 inch round that is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat.
- Lay one of the breads onto the skillet for 15-20 seconds, then flip it over and cook the other side for a minute or until large bubbles form. Flip it again. It will poof up like a little edible pillow.
- Use a clean towel to press lightly on where the bubbles have formed. Cook for a total of 3 minutes, then remove from the skillet.
- Repeat till all the dough is cooked, keeping the cooked breads in a clean dishtowel until ready to use.
- TO STORE: allow bread to cool thoroughly and place in an airtight container. Will keep for at least a week.
- TURKEY FILLING.
- Prepare turkey according to taco seasoning package directions.
- A few minutes before turkey is done, add frozen peas and toss to combine.
- Serve with plenty of cilantro and lime on the side.