Prep 3 hrs
Cook 4 mins
Think this came from a MasterCook export. I have never tried making them but this recipe seems easy enough. Prep time includes rising time. Have fun!
- In mixing bowl, combine water and sugar; sprinkle yeast and let stand for 10 minutes or until dissolved and creamy.
- Using electric mixer, beat in 2 c.of the flour, oil and salt; beat for about 3 minutes or until smooth, scraping down side of bowl from time to time.
- With wooden spoon, beat in enough of the remaining flour to make stiff dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in lightly greased bowl, turning to grease all over.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Divide dough into 16 or 32 pieces.
- On lightly floured surface, roll each piece into 7" or 4" rounds.
- Cover and let rise for 15 minutes or until slightly risen.
- Meanwhile, heat ungreased baking sheet on lowest rack in 500 degree oven (240 C).
- Using floured metal spatula, quickly transfer 2 or 3 pita rounds to heated baking sheet; bake for 3 or 4 minutes or until puffed and light golden around edges.
- Repeat with remaining pita rounds.
- Let cool between damp tea towels.
- Pitas will collapse and soften slightly, but pocket will remain.
- (Alternatively, if crisp pitas are desired, let cool on racks) Pitas can be stored in plastic bags in freezer for up to 1 month.
- Makes 16 7" pitas or 32 4" pitas.
I just made these on a whim tonight. They were delicious and pretty easy. I am not much of a baker but made them no problem..... Well they were a bit mishapen but I think it is due to my inexperience. Thank you for posting.
omg thank you for posting i will never buy from the store very good and easy to put together a++++++++++++++++++++++
I've tried several pita bread recipes- the breads consistently balloon as they are supposed to in this recipe. Used olive oil instead of vegetable oil. Also added 1/2 tsp of granuslated garlic for flavor. These disappear fast around my house. Thanks for a Great Recipe!