An easy pineapple upside-down cake using a yellow cake mix.
Make and share this Easy Pineapple Upside-Down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices
- 1 (8 ounce) jar maraschino cherries (optional)
- walnut halves (optional)
- Follow instructions on cake box for making an oblong single layer cake.
- Prepare cake batter and set aside.
- Cut up butter in small pieces and place all over the bottom of the oblong pan specified on cake box.
- Sprinkle brown sugar generously over the butter.
- Place pan on the stove (or in the oven) and heat slowly until butter and sugar melt to a liquid then remove from heat.
- Evenly space the pineapple slices around the bottom of pan in the heated sugar and butter.
- Place the cherries and nuts between the pineapple slices (Tho the cherries and nuts look nice and taste great, they are optional).
- Pour cake batter on top of the pineapple/cherry/nut mixture.
- Place in oven and bake as directed on cake box.
- As soon as cake is done place a plate over the cake and turn upside down and carefully remove pan.
- If you wait too long the sugar will harden and be difficult to remove.
- Note: Peaches may be used in place of pineapple.