Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This recipe is from Betty Crocker's Holiday Cookbook. Great recipe for the holidays. Time indicated includes chilling time.
- 3 cups Oreo cookies (crushed)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 gallon peppermint ice cream or 1⁄2 gallon party mint chocolate chip ice cream or 1⁄2 gallon mint chocolate chip ice cream
- 1 (12 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup crushed peppermint candies or 1⁄3 cup candy cane
- Mix crushed cookies and melted butter.
- Press mixture in bottom of ungreased rectangular pan, 13x9x2.
- Stir together ice cream and 2 cups of the cool whip topping; spoon evenly onto chocolate cookie crust.
- Freeze 3 hrs till firm.
- Meanwhile; melt butter and chocolate in 2 qt saucepan over low heat, stir constantly.
- Stir in sugar; gradually stir in milk.
- Heat to boiling over medium high heat, stir constantly.
- Cook and stir 5 minutes till slightly thick; stir in vanilla.
- Cool completely, about 2 hours pour 2 cups of chocolate sauce evenly over ice cream.
- freeze at least 8 hrs and no longer than 2 weeks.
- Cover and refrigerate remaining sauce.
- Reheat reserved sauce till warm.
- to serve cut into 5 rows by 3 rows.
- Top with sauce and remaining cool whip;
- sprinkle with crushed candies.
I made this in two 8x8 foil pans that came with plastic tops. Took 1 to Christmas Eve dinner with my neighbors, and the other to Christmas Day dinner at my brothers. At both places everyone just loved this!! We all thought that it was quite refreshing and just right after a heavy meal. This is a keeper, and has become the dessert of choice at Christmas for us! Thanks so much for posting!